Skip to main content

Wedding Testimonials

Genevra, Pagan Wedding 
I just think that part of why I can't figure out how to answer you is because, when I really think about it I see that I haven't really had non traditional weddings. I mean they look that way from the outside because of themes or whatever but the idea is really still the same. Maybe I'm over simplifying.

Carmen, Wedding #2
Being 49 years old and after a 22 years break between marriages(one that was the traditional, long white gown church wedding), I wanted an outdoors, non religious wedding. Since all my family was in Miami I choose that as the City. The problem was it was 1993 and Miami had not recuperated from 1992 hurricane Andrew. The only place I could find pretty enough was The Falls shopping mall which had newly planted palm trees and a beautiful pond with a perfect deck over it for the ceremony. So, with my to be husband and my family standing there,and my cousin being the Justice of the Peace, I walked down some steps, following my niece as "flower girl", with each of my two daughters walking me holding each of my arms. After the "I dos" we all walk upstairs for a TGI Friday's Wedding Brunch. Unfortunately the marriage only lasted 11 years, but it was good most of those years. Yes, I wore a white suit, representing my second virginity after 22 years of singlehood, LOL. So, there you have it, UNTRADITIONAL!!!!!

Kirsty, Married After Same-Sex Marriage Legalized 
Lee and I got married by a jp in city hall. We kept it low key- nice dresses no gowns. I think we spent around $300 tops. We were the first lesbian couple married in Leominster. We'd just adopted KC and only our family came. We had a BBQ afterwards here at the house. We've been married almost 13 years but we'd been together for years before it was legal. ( we'll be celebrating 39 years on our wedding anniversary!) we did go this cheaper route because we'd just done the adoption.

Laura, Traditional Wedding
 I wanted a traditional wedding because that was my fairy tale, and all sides of the family are traditional - Italian/French Catholic on my side and 100% Irish Catholic on Sean's. I deviated from the traditional organ song tho and walked down the isle to my own music selection to make it more personable. We chose to use a minister and didn't have the wedding in a church, but instead at the country club where the reception was also held. The reception was traditional as well but we left out the normal garter/bouquet toss (which didn't dawn on me till now lol, not that I wore a garter) and switched up the timing of the cake cutting to before dinner to get it out of the way. Financial pressure was there because we weren't getting much help to pay for the wedding, so I found a location that had the food and champagne toast included in overall costs, as well as gave us a discount to do both the ceremony and reception on site. and i used friends for the dj and photographer to get discounts, which were still not very cheap, but lesser than other quotes I got. I bought fake flowers and made all the bouquets, boutonnieres and table arrangements myself. Same with all other decorations, I didn't hire a planner or anything. Bought it all and decorated with friends/family the day before. Overall the stigma is still very much alive for traditional and the money spent... I wanted to make sure everything was perfect for everyone who attended, but by the end of the day I felt like I had walked thru all the motions and never actually enjoyed the day, even though I did have fun. Just felt, rushed, so I couldn't relax and enjoy it on my time. Everyone who attended had nothing but nice things to say tho so I'd say the changes went largely unnoticed or cared about. In fact I only received compliments about the ceremony/reception and for what I accomplished on such a small budget. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hegemonic White Wedding and Mass Media

     The media have historically supported the views of the dominant group within American society, those holding social, political, and economic power. According to Hegemony in Reality-Based TV Programming: The World According to A Wedding Story , "Mass media disseminate hegemonic values within a society through its tendency to "reproduce the ideological field of a society in such a way as to reproduces, also, its structure of domination""(Engstrom, 2003). The dominant social construct within American culture is heterosexuality, "heterosexuality is, in reality, a highly regulated, ritualized, and organized practice. Sociologically, then, heterosexuality is an "established order made up of rule-bound and standardized behavior patterns" qualifies as an institution. Moreover, heterosexuality as an "arrangement involving large numbers of people whos behavior is guided by norms and rules" is also a social institution" (Ingraham, 1999, pg

Marriage and Women's Earning Potential

     In order to gain support from women the wedding industry, "Recognizing that many independent women might bristle at the extravagant, irrational edicts, the wedding complex has recast the bride as fullfilling her unconscious dream as a child, one who believes in fairy tales and who needs to be told what to do" (Arend, 2016). Women are taught to aspire to their wedding day, because that will be the most important day of their lives. Yet, Research done comparing the incomes of women who marry before the age of 20, and women who marry after age 30 show that there is a mean difference of $20,000 dollars a year between the two groups.      The article Want to Earn More Money?Get Married Later.  states, “Women with college degrees who waited until after age 30 to get married earn significantly more than college-educated women who married at younger ages. Whereas those who married before age 20 report an average annual income of just over $30,000, those who married at 30 or l

The True Cost of White Weddings for Couples

     The cost of weddings have drastically inflated over the course of history, according to Unraveling The Knot: Political Economy and Cultural Hegemony in Wedding Media, "The U.S. bridal industry is estimated at between $50 and $70 billion annually; the potential for this market is huge: Nearly 2.4 million marriages are performed each year. The investment of money and time that goes into the traditional wedding, with the average "big" wedding costing some $20,000, makes it not only a major event, but also a major expense for those starting married life; more than half of couples who choose to hold a wedding pay for it all themselves, which can lead to starting their married life in debt" (Engstrom, 2008). With more couples paying for their own weddings, the financial strain that paying for a large scale event is tangible.      In a recent study, it has been shown that there is a correlation between high nuptial costs and marriage longevity. According to ' A D